Cape Cod Lighthouses

Visitors are welcome to visit the grounds and view the buildings from.
Cape cod lighthouses. The cape cod chapter of the american lighthouse foundation was authorized by the coast guard to restore and maintain wood end light. Nobska point is located in falmouth at wood s hole and is open for tours check the schedule at the coast guard auxiliary s website. The lighthouse grounds and the highland links course remain open. The first lighthouse at wings neck was a typical cape cod designed light keepers house that has a lantern placed at the top.
Finally the beacon wood end resort is located at the top of cape cod near the port entrance provincetown. It is nestled on the cape cod national seashore. Due to impacts from covid 19 lighthouses within cape cod national seashore are closed to the public during summer 2020. There were tons of placards telling of the light s interesting history and the national park service had set up a neat instagram frame at the parking area for the photo op with the light in the background in june it is only open for tours on sundays 4 30 7 30 we stopped off at the visitor center for the cape cod national seashore to pick up some brochures and then went to the light house.
It is also the tallest of the cape cod lighthouses. The current lighthouse was constructed in 1857 and it is the oldest of the cape code series of lighthouses. The current highland light built in 1857 replaced two earlier lighthouses and is the oldest currently on the cape. When there was a fire damage and other effects of general disrepair in 1889 it prompted the construction of a new lighthouse.
The original lighthouse in truro has the distinction of being the first constructed on cape cod. Highland lighthouse in truro is closed until 2021 for major rehabilitation. The room is equipped with ten flashlights with reflectors fourteen inches a solid white light seventy eight meters above the sea. The original lighthouse was in the typical cape cod style with an octagonal tower over the house by a stone guardian who had on the first floor three rooms and two small stairs up.
Nauset lighthouse was moved from chatham to eastham in 1923 to replace the last standing of eastham s three sisters a trio of cape cod lighthouses that had over time succumbed to the elements and erosion of the cliffs on which they stood. The current structure is a replacement of two earlier ones that had been constructed in 1797 and 1831 respectively. It is still an active aid to navigation today.